Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Flash Back

Just about a year ago, I started this post: 
"This week our elementary school has been virtual. Me, alone in my classroom teaching students who are at their homes.  It's only 1 week ... But it's taught me so many thinhs about technology and parent contact and it's reminded me of so many things about kids. 

I was reminded the very first moment of my first google meet that I really prefer teaching when kids are in my classroom instead of on my computer screen.

I was reminded the very second moment that the kids actually prefer being in my classroom to seeing me on a computer screen, too. 

By the third moment I started being shown pets and Christmas trees and houses and little brothers and sisters and I was reminded that my kids come from so many different places. We're all here within in this same town ... But there are so many different backgrounds.

As kids turned in work they were doing without any teacher support it became obvious how wide the divide amongst my crew is. How some clearly had plentiful parent support replacing the teacher support ... And how some clearly didn't. How some had a quite work environment, good for completing assignments....and some were attempting to concentrate through noise and diatravtion. LHow some had a priority placed on keeping up with school work, and how some had other things taking priority."
I never finished the post. 

I assume it was because that week was crazy and then in person school resumed and was crazy, and then I forgot about it because life stayed crazy.... 

BUT reading it the other day was an awesome reminder for me of the things that became so obvious last year. The things that are still so obvious this year. 

My kiddos are still coming from all those situations. They don't come from "level playing fields". They don't get the same amount of support and not all their families place the same priority on the same things. They don't all eat that well, or rest that comfortably, or have smooth and easy mornings .... At least not always.  

And then they come to school (thank goodness I don't have to say "and then they log on").... And they all need a million different things

Or maybe they all need the same things: a little grace and patience. A listening ear and an understanding word. To be welcomed and loved. To receive their education with a side of "let's figure this out so you can be the absolute greatest you" instead of a side of "because I said so". 

Because even in the days where it's hard for them to remeber it - let alone show it - they actually do want to be their best self. 

And no matter where they are coming from or what kind of morning they had they ALL are the absolute best thing their parents have to share with me. 

Seriously. There is not a single parent who is keeping their best child hidden and sending me their worst child. Each of my kiddos is their parents greatest thing - the prize possessions of their households.

...and I better be treating them as such. 



No comments:

Post a Comment