Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Crate Seats

Okay, I am sooo kicking myself for not taking pictures of Robbie and I as these were "in progress", but I am so excited about my crate seats! I found the idea (via pinterest) and fell in love with it here -- check it out! Unlike hers, my lids really ARE on the top, so I can (and will!) use my seats for storage.

We took file crates (I got mine at Staples in Rolla). I measured the top (by "I", I mean my wonderful hubby...). Then we ran to lows and bought a huge sheet of plywood. We got 1/2 in. thick - I want to be sure anybody can sit on these without fear of breaking. After checking out, we realized the plywood wouldn't fit in our explorer (we are super good at thinking ahead...) soo, it was lucky my parents happened to be at Lows buying a fridge and my dad was willing to haul the plywood home in his truck!

Saturday we went out to their house and Rob used the skill saw to cut me some seats! We measured the crate in two places - inside the top so one layer of the seat could fit snugly, and across the top so the top layer of the seat would have a slight overhang. He cut the pieces and we screwed them together to make a lovely seat. THEN we put a mattress pad (or pillow pad? It was pillow sized....) on top of the plywood for a cushion, and covered the seat in cute fabric.

They turned out super cute and fairly comfy! The seats pop right off so I can put things inside them. :) I'm thinking they will make a great addition to a reading corner! =)

(I'm not talented enough to insert the pictures as I go, so here at the bottom are the pictures I did think to take) Enjoy!

completed seats
The lids pop right off for easy storage :) But they are snug enough to stay put!

We used a staple gun to staple the fabric around the cushion and top layer of plywood. Easy peasy!



1 comment:

  1. You're right! This is fantastic. Whenever we go camping or traveling I take our girls' crates like that so they can keep their clutter. They will be delighted when I make their dirty clothes baskets into seats :):)

    Can you imagine how cool these will be in a classroom!!!

    ReplyDelete