Thursday, September 1, 2022

Don't Ask Me What's For Dinner

*a teacher mom's tired plea*


Don't ask me what's for dinner.

I can't begin to say, 

truth be told, I just don't know, 

we may just not eat today.


Oh theres food inside the pantry,

and plenty in the fridge,

but it's quite possible I'll cry

if you ask me what food that is.


You know that I am starving,

I just can't bring myself to think,

or make one more thoughtful decision,

my brain's pushed past the brink.


The day's been long and tiring,

people with so many questions to ask,

and every choice was mine to make,

no responsibility could pass.


Who needed this, who wanted that,

Should I reprimand or hug?

What do we do next? Which form do we use?

all day on me the tug...


Drills and emails and phone calls,

questions of "how do we do this",

think through each one, check every box,

so the important things we don't miss.


No, don't ask me whats for dinner,

it's liable to make me shout.

I can't think through even one more thing...

maybe we'll just eat out.



No comments:

Post a Comment