Saturday, June 27, 2020

The "Big Kids"

My girls are blessed with an awesome family all the way around. They have grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and "surrogate" family to many to count.

But there is a special group - a uniquely awesome group - that I've probably taken for granted much toooo often. 

.              (pictures courtesy of Lydia 😉)

These "big kids", as Lydia calls them, have turned into young adults way quicker than I could have ever imagined ... And as they grow and graduate and move on to new adventures, it makes me pause to realize how blessed we are to have them around.

This crew lugs around my kiddos - and always has. They've carried on-the-verge-of-meltdown kiddos who didn't want to leave a fun place to my car more times than I can count. Often they've taken pity on me trying to visit with another adult and whisked my girls away to entertain them without ever being asked. 

They help fix plates are dinner time, push swings, offer hugs and tickles a plenty. Goodness knows they've ran their share of races. Sometimes they even dress up as the Easter Bunny for me.

.  (It's Isaac in the suit here .. Sam has been too!)

They've been dragged on many trips and never (audibly) complain. They swim in cold water so I don't have to and can keep the littles laughing and playing for an amazing amount of time.

They've embraced many activities for the sake of my kids that other teens might have rolled their eyes at. 

And often they even let little hands help open their presents.

They've given my kids bottles and had baby food and toys thrown at them. They tell my kids "no" and "stop" when needed and settle toddler squabbles like champs. They embrace our chaos and laugh at our noise. They rarely say "no" to being followed around, and while I'm certain we drive them crazy at times, they keep coming back around ... And if that's because their parents drag them, they hide it well with the amount of love they freely give.

Most importantly, they are the best role models around. My kids see them at church. They see them jump to help others without being asked. They see them hug their grandma and shake hands with strangers. They see them lead prayers, sing in choir, march in band, play sports, and get recognized for good grades. 

And my girls idolize them. They want to be with them and they want to BE them. Time with them is the coolest thing going and I've dried tears many times over them going to college and that "we won't see them all the time" 😳

I like to think we're good for them too. We sure enjoy cheering them on in all their exploits. And, someday, when they are awesome parents who aren't scared of spit-up and tantrums, they'll have us (at least partially) to thank - ha.

But the truth is, my girls are getting way more given to them by this crew than they may ever have the chance to repay. And so am I. So, our squeals of delight when we see them coming, our hugs and (sometimes slobbery) kisses, and hand drawn pictures will have to be our thankyou for now. 

Well, that, and the promise that I'm doing my best to raise my little kids to be at least almost as awesome big kids to a new generation of littles someday. ♥️

No comments:

Post a Comment