Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Moments

Moments are a funny thing to me. They are so incredibly fleeting, and yet manage to have such a lasting impact. 

Sometimes they fly by without notice, wasted on some frivolous thing. 

Sometimes we wish we could get them back.

Sometimes they drag sloly in anticipation or dread.

Sometimes they slip through our fingers as we frantically try to hold onto them.

Sometimes they keep us awake at night, replaying themselves over and over again.

Sometimes we don't realize their worth until they are long past. 

Sometimes they are not so powerful in their individuality, yet overwhelming in their accumulation.

Sometimes we forget them. 

Sometimes they stick.

I know you have moments you're thinking of. You know I do, too. 


One moment my daughters played happily. One moment they faught.
One moment I handled parenting gracefully. One moment I was distraught.

One moment I was focused and purposeful. One moment I frittered away.
One moment I prayed would hurry by. One moment I sure wished would stay.

One moment to gather my bearings. One moment to let go my restraint.
One moment my future self brightened. One moment my reputation may taint.

One moment my heart swelled with pride. One moment humbled me again.
One moment I realized an important thing ... One moment to the next itself lends.

One moment I work for the next one. One moment I build one each time.
One moment does not show you all of me ... But the sum of my moments defines.




No comments:

Post a Comment