Wednesday, April 17, 2013

So, You're A Teacher ... Now What?

Disclaimer: Remember the Flannery O'Connor quote "I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say"?? Well, that definitely applys to this post. While I'd love your feedback on this post, it is mostly for me to get my thoughts out ... so that I can read them, and think about them more. =)

I always knew I wanted to be a teacher. Now, somewhere along the way I decided maybe I hadn't given other career options enough of a chance and went through a random "lets think of everything else I might possibly want to do with my life" phase. Then I remembered (realized?) that I really did want to be a teacher.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Aaannnddd I thought I was done making career decisions. Well, jokes on me.

I definitely think someone should write a book: "So, You're a Teacher. Now What?"

I really am a very opinionated person (shocking, I know - you probably never would have guessed that). BUT, when it comes to what to get my masters in, I am so ready for someone just to tell me what to do! There are so many options! So many reasons to go with each choice! ... and I don't know what to do!

Educational Technology - Technology is huge and getting huger. I do love to use it in my classroom. Really, I just love it in general -- I place full blame on my husband and his techy ways! So, I really lean towards this one! Also, it has been delcared "high needs" in our district, so I could get some $$ towards tuition (huge plus). AND I think classes will be offered on our STJ campus which would be nice (the other option is to do all online). BUT (and it's a big one) ... I am actually very reserved when it comes to technology in the classroom (at least compared to other people). I fully support technology in college, high school, moving more towards it in Middle School ... AND I love some of it in Elementary. My fourth graders eat it up. There really are some really cool things you can do with technology. BUT the key word is "some".  Using technology SOME is outstanding - but so is not using technology all the time. Kids need books in their hands. They need hands on activities (clicking and dragging doesn't count). They need ME teaching them, not the computer. And so, while I LOVE technology in the classroom, I also have this fear (irrational though it may be) that I will somehow be brainwashed to believe I should use only technology all the time! Odd....

Reading - I genuinely LOVE to read. I love books -the smell, the feel, the words, the ideas, the imagination ... I LOVE them. AND working with a group of kiddos with low reading levels this year has really shown me I have a lot to learn about helping kids learn to read (turns out being able to read yourself and being able to teach someone else to read are two very, VERY different skills). And, well, I think it is really super important for us to have teachers who know how to teach kids to read! So, this is a huge draw to me. It would be something I'm passionate about for sure. It's also high needs = $$.

Curriculum and Instruction - It's always good to learn more about designing and implementing curriculum. I could even focus in reading! So 2 in 1 in a way ... and it could turn in (way down the road) to some sort of leadership position... It's also high needs - $$.

Educational Administration - I used to really, really think I wanted to be a principal someday. I still like the idea ... kind of. But sometimes when I think about how overwhelming the job must feel sometimes it seems ...slightly less appealing. But I do love the idea of being in a position to effect change in such a way...

Bottom line is, while I LOVE my classroom and can't picture myself anywhere but in the classroom for years to come - I want to be well equipped to change the world from inside my classroom's walls. And someday maybe even outside of my classroom walls.

So, that is my current delimma ... and we'll see what happens!



No comments:

Post a Comment