Monday, April 15, 2013

Defense

As you may (or may not) know, I am generally a fan of guns. I like to hunt, I like to target practice, and I like the security my gun brings me when I get spooked at night. I like the idea of being able to defend myself and others.

I also like the fact that I feel safe in my school. I love that I don't walk around feeling like I need to actively defend myself.

I hate the fact there is no guarantee I will always feel safe in my school. I hate that there could come a time when I would need to actively defend myself.

I love that my school has a lot of security in place. I love that there are plans in place. I love that I know what I would need to do in the worst hypothetical situation.

I hate that "security in place" is not an actual guarantee. I hate that plans can fail. I hate that I even have to know what I would need to do in the worst hypothetical situation.

I love the idea of being able to defend myself and, more importantly, my kiddos.

I hate the idea of having to defend myself and my kiddos.

But I hate the idea of being helpless to defend my kiddos even more.

...

And so, I am very curious to see how this plays out: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/us/missouri-school-trains-teachers-to-carry-guns.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

I am curious to see if more districts will "go there". I am curious to see how people react. I am curious to see if this idea comes "closer to home" (granted, West Plains is fairly close to home).

It's a topic worth watching, for sure. And also, a subject very much worth praying about a whole lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment