Saturday, December 29, 2012

Action Plan

I am a fixer. A doer. If there is a complete opposite of "procrastinator", that's me. (well, usually).

Tonight was one of those gotta do something RIGHT NOW kinda nights.

I think I am more stressed about going back to school than I was about going to school in the first place. Perhaps that is because I actually know what I'm getting in to this time....

Mostly it's because of this:
Okay, you probably can't really tell this ... but it's number 7 on my lovely "suggested unit plan" activity list. Animal research project. I'm all for a good research project. I get it, informative essay, lots of research experience, use of graphic organizer, outlines, typing practice ... lots of good stuff. We're even planning a persuasive element (convince someone to take your animal into a zoo! Build a sample zoo exhibit) you know, get some hands on, fun stuff in. 'Cause we're awesome like that.

I'm excited. Really. But I'm also mildly freaking out. HOW ON EARTH am I supposed to squeeze a 6 paragraph informative essay out of my kiddos? Let alone all the research it will take? And the final product? Typing? EEEEKKK. 

So, my night turned in to this:
Yup. Last Saturday night of break. School stuff spread all over my couch. And coffee table. And lap. and keyboard (yes, it was laying on top of my hands while I typed). I had to process! And sometimes "doing" is the only way I can process. 

Sooo, end of the night (already past my bed time) we have: 1 awesome set of graphic organizers (that I will post once I get them all pretty looking) each one centering around 1 question that will turn into 1 paragraph of the essay (4 questions = 4 paragraphs + intro and conclusion = 6 paragraph essay. BAM). We have 1 outline typed up (where kids can fill in their bullet points) and 1 plan to attempt to do this in ability groups (so I can offer as much guidance as needed while still providing those who can be more independent the opportunity to do so).

No guarantees it will go smoothly (okay, actually, I know it won't go "smoothly"). But, hey, having a plan that I can tweak as needed is way, WAY better than not having a plan at all! =). 

What a way to spend a Saturday night ... and I didn't mind a bit :).

Hope you're enjoying the last weekend of my break, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment