Saturday, August 28, 2021

What's On A Coffee Cup

This is my favorite coffee cup. 

Its functional, it holds just the right amount of coffee, and the saying is just perfect. It sums up a huge portion of my life in a matter of fact, slightly humorous way that is very much my style. 

"Momming" is, by far, one of my most favorite things I get to do. But, it isn't for the faint of heart, and it ain't easy, not one bit. Things don't have to be easy to be wonderful.

That's why I love this cup. Most days when I'm ready for coffee, "Mommin' ain't easy" is just the funny acknowledgement I need to make in order to chuckle and get on with my day.

But sometimes I switch cups. 

Sometimes the reminder on the second (slightly smaller but just as wonderful) cup is what I need more. Sometimes it's a more fitting thought for my day. 

Oh, I make the coffee the exact same way and the coffee taste the same no matter which cup I drink it from. And really, the cup *doesn't* matter.

Except, it sort of does. 

It's not about the cup so much ...  It's about the thoughts I surround myself with and what I focus my heart and mind on. 

On the fun, busy days, I enjoy thinking "Mommin' ain't easy". On the days I've settled 7 silly arguments and cleaned up 3 messes before I make it to my first cup of coffee, I enjoy thinking "Mommin' ain't easy" (maybe with an empathetic eye roll). 

But on the days Mommin' really ISN'T easy? On the days when I'm exhausted or when life feels overwhelming, or when the world threatens to close in ... On the days when I wonder if I'll outlast the strong wills of my girls ... I don't need to chuckle at how "Mommin' ain't easy". On those days, I need to remember what to DO about it. 

Those are the days I grab the second coffee cup. 

Those are the days I reach for whatever little bit of extra encouragement to go with my coffee. 

The thoughts we allow ourselves to focus on influence us more strongly than we sometimes realize. Sometimes we think we can see things - watch things - read things - and then go on being whatever we wanted to be that day. But whatever things are infront of us - whatever thoughts make it in our heads anald are allowed to travel to our hearts - those influence our attitudes. The impact our motivation. If we aren't careful (and usually even if we think we are being careful) our repeated thoughts, the things we allow into our minds over and over again, begin to change and define us. 

So today, be conscious about what thoughts you put into your head .... Even if it's just when you choose your coffee cup. 😉



No comments:

Post a Comment