Sunday, August 22, 2021

A New Beginning

Teaching is a unique profession for several reasons .... But at the top of the list is that every August teachers get a completely fresh start. 

Sometimes it's new admin, a new teaching role, new coworkers ... But even if you've been in the same classroom your whole career like I have, it's a new (or updated) theme, a new group of kids, and a new chance to start at the beginning. 

How often do we think of ways we could have "done that better"? Well, professionally, each new school year I get a chance to put what I learned from the last go round to good use. 

I get to set up my classroom the way I want, put into practice the routines I'd like to have, and make first impressions with the kiddos I get to learn from for the year. 

What. A. Blessing. 

Oh, I'm always nervous.... There's things I somehow manage to forget every time. There's always kids I don't have figured out as fast as I'd like. There's always a learning curve. And the exhaustion of the first week .... It's real. 

But, more than the nerves, more than the tiredness, there is a certain magic in the Elementary building. There is an excitement, an anticipation, that comes around just once a year as we get started on the greatness the year will bring. 

So, this new beginning, I'm praying to enjoy the magic. To cherish each getting to know you activity that seems silly but builds the classroom family I want. To relish the chance to be a little stronger than I was the last time around, a little better at doing what I love. To build with each new kiddo a relationship that lasts beyond the year they share my classroom walls. 

Here's to beginnings ... May we love them more than we stress about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment