Thursday, July 9, 2020

Not Okay

There's a package on its way to my house that I'm not excited to open. It's full of masks. Cute masks I ordered for Lydia to wear to school in August. Cute masks I hope will make the idea that she'll probably be asked to wear one a little less uncomfortable.

I will not be okay opening that box. Oh, I'll smile and talk about cute they are, sure. But the truth is, I will absolutely hate the "sales pitch" I give her ... mostly because I think the whole situation is just ... Not at all okay.

It's not okay that my daughter will have to be physically uncomfortable while walking to class each day. And masks are not comfortable.

It's not okay that she'll try to find her friends by only seeing half their faces.

It's not okay that she'll get to know her teachers by only seeing their eyes and a mask.

It's not okay that she'll notice who has a cute mask instead of who has a nice smile.

Furthermore, it's not okay that we have a whole generation of kids we are teaching not to get close to people. Don't shake hands. Don't touch. Don't hug. Don't even share a space. 

It's not okay that they are seeing people everywhere with only the expressions eyes can portray.

It's not okay kids won't know how to act in public places because they aren't *going* to public places.

It's not okay kids are missing out on experiences.

It's not okay that they are learning to be suspicious of others and their germs rather than friendly to those they meet. 

It's just not okay.

Oh, I get it. 

I get all the germs and sickness and caution. But the side effects of our caution? Oy vey.

I don't want to argue about if its worth it in the short term. I certainly don't feel prepared to examine the long term. 

I DO know that schools and teachers and parents everywhere will do what they can to make things as good for kids and students as possible.

But I also know that where our kids are concerned ... None of this is really okay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment