Saturday, July 4, 2020

Discretion

Before I had kids I really thought I was a busy person. Now that I have kids, I wonder what I even thought I was spending my time doing before. 

Many times I have thought there was a lot going on in our world. Right now, there is enough happening to make 6 months ago look like a "boring" time. Ha.

With so much going on there are a million thoughts and opinions going through my head. There are a hundred things I could say or write. And yet, I haven't written any yet - and I've been very careful who I've talked to them about.

I am not scared to share my thoughts. My opinions are mine for thought out reasons and I stand by them. HOWEVER, when so much happening on in our world, emotions run high. Emotions that cause others to take our words (spoken and written both) and twist them. I don't think the twising is even (always) intentional ... when emotions run high and perceptions differ hugely, it is hard to SAY or write something and have it HEARD or read the same, intended, way.

It's a human nature thing we all have to be careful about - our own bais infiltrates the things we hear and see AS we are hearing and seeing it and influences how we receive it. Our emotions even keep us from being able to hear and process things people say to us. It's why teaching kids what bias is, and how to research carefully, is such an improtant task.

It's also why, sometimes, it's better for me to keep my opinions and thoughts close to me and carefully shared. It's called discretion. And I'm both constantly working on it myself and trying to teach its fine art to my girls.

Discretion often impacts how I act. It also impacts what I say and how I say it. It means I don't often go around telling people that I think they are wrong just because their opinion differs from mine (unless there is a Biblical reason I need to stand up or against for something). It's why I don't always say what I sometimes want to say. And it's certainly why I don't always type and post the first thoughts that come to my mind ... Or even the second or third ones. 

One of the awesome things about freedom is I have the freedom to persue happiness instead of conflict. I won't shy from a disagreement or discussion that needs to happen .... But I also try to be careful not to go around inciting arguments and eye rolls. 

There's a balance. It involves a lot more listening that it does talking and a lot more reading and research than it does typing and posting. It requires deciding what battles need fought and what things can be let go. For me it also often involves discussions with those who know me and whom I know before discussions with peopel whom I have no relational capacity. And, it most definitely involves deciding what things need to be said and shared and then a whole lot of prayerful thought about how and when to say those things so that they can be as well received as possible.

It's called discretion ... And it isn't always easy, but it's always worthwhile. 


No comments:

Post a Comment