Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Blessed

I love that when life is crazy, something always happens to remind me how blessed I am. Sunday morning as I was getting ready for church, Grandma called. She sounded stressed and said "uh, are you almost ready to go?" I was, and asked what she needed "Well", she said, "Could you go sit with Uncle Rusty? They just got back from the ER with his back, and Alisha needs to go get his prescriptions filled but doesn't want to leave him alone". I immediately agreed, but did wander why she wasn't doing it (because normally she would jump on that herself!) "I would go" she said "but they just took Jacob to the hospital thinking he will need his appendix taken out, and I need to meet them to pick up Joshua". And, with that, our Sunday was off and running!

Jacob did have to have his appendix out Sunday afternoon. He is recovering nicely at home and enjoying a couple of days off of school. :) I am thankful appendix removal is such an easy, routine procedure with a quick recovery - it is hard to keep at 4th grade boy down for long!

Uncle Rusty is still having some back pain, but I think is some improved! He has several doctor and chiropractor appointments, so hopefully they will get him worked out soon!

I loved sitting with Uncle Rusty. Okay, so by "sitting with" I mean he laid in bed (on his stomach because his back was hurting on a LOT of pain med so he wasn't very talkative) and I sat quietly in the living room so as not to disturb him, checking on him every 30 minutes or so. So, not a lot going on. I did my own thing, read, worked on some school stuff, prayed ... and I realized (as I do many, many times) how lucky I am to be a part of such a wonderful family. A family who is there for each other. A family who lit up my phones with texts asking how Uncle Rusty was and if I had news about Jacob. A family who always offers to help. A family who genuinely wants to help. A family who thinks to call *me* because they know I want to help.

Family is an awesome thing. I am blessed.

I was also very blessed to make it to Church Sunday evening to hear this sermon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF0mATW6VC0

I cannot speak highly enough of my brother-in-law's speaking ability! He is a great preacher and a very knowledgeable man. This lesson was perhaps "aimed" at the younger generation, but is definitely wonderful for everyone to listen as it focuses on a few key things like self esteem, remembering God in your youth, and not waiting till its too late. Great sermon -- check it out!

2 comments: