Monday, August 8, 2022

Doers.

A year or so ago my (then 4 year old) niece had a splinter. Which isn't a big deal, except it hurt, it was almost bedtime, and my sister was home alone with the kids. I mentioned it to Robbie and, without a moment hesitation, he headed over - with dippin dots ice cream - to help hold and sooth, and to get the splinter out.

On the way to their house, he saw a car pulled over with two people sitting on the hood looking frustrated. He texted me that he'd be a little longer than expected because after he got the splinter out he planned to go back and help those people. He did help them. It involved a jumpstart and following them too the nearest gas station to make sure they made it that far.

Today, on his day off he ran to the grocery store for me. On his way back he passed our neighbor's house where our neighbor lady was working on cutting down a pine tree with a hand saw. He drove home, and hollered to me that I could unload the groceries, because he was going back with the chainsaw to help her with that tree. And so, I put away the groceries, and then the girls and I got to ride along to help finish hauling the tree off to our burn pile.

I don't really tell you this to brag on Robbie... Although I can, and should, all the time, because he's awesome. I tell you this to encourage you to remind you the importance of - and power of - a doer. 

I'm a thinker and too often that leads to me thinking "man, I sure hope someone helps them..." But Rob is a doer. He's a need filler. He doesn't just stand in gaps for people, he jumps into them quickly - and without a second thought. 

We tell our girls we should love our neighbors. He shows them how every day. 

He offers help and truly means it every single time. He actively looks for needs he can see a way to fill ... And then he acts on them. 

James 1:22 reminds us to be doers of the word. Numerous verses remind us to love our neighbors as ourself.

Nothing "does" love your neighbor more than cutting up a neighbors tree on your day off, or mowing a different neighbors yard (without being asked) while they are on vacation, or jumpstarting a strangers car ....  And never expecting a thing in return. 

Love your neighbor. Be a doer - of the word, and of love. Stand in gaps for people. 

And if you find someone who does those things? Hold on tight to them, and let them make you better at it, too. 




1 comment:

  1. Love this article and love that young man too.

    ReplyDelete