Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Think Time

I absolutely love snowy days. I don't love making up missed school. I don't love the cold. I don't love taking my dog out in the snow. I don't love shoveling the snow. But, when you are all snowed in, there is so much good that does occur. I love sitting by my fire place. I love cuddling up on the couch and reading. I love throwing my hair in a pony tail and putting on sweat pants.

Mostly though, I love the think time.

Some days I feel like I go 500 miles a minute. I get up at 5:20. I go to bed at 10. And I don't stop in between. I play fetch with the dog while frantically getting ready. I go over lesson plans in my head while I drive to school. I meet with parents. My phone rings 12 times a day asking me to send kids here or there. Kids hand me notes. Kids have questions. Then I sit on the couch and grade papers and make more lesson plans and all of the sudden, even though I may not be able to tell you exactly what I accomplished with my evening, its time for bed.

And on those days, even if I hear some amazing nugget of inspiration, read some amazing quote, or have a brilliant thought shared with me ... I may not process it. I may not comprehend it. I may not think too deeply about it. 

So on snowed in afternoons like today, it is wonderful to sit. And think. And process. And sometimes read a book!

Like the book I just finished.... "Hello, I'm Your Bible: A Practical Guide to Accurately Handling the Word of Truth" by Jason Hardin. It is exactly what it claims to be - practical. It is an "easy" read and fairly comprehensive about lots of big ideas. It challenged me - it inspired me - it made me think. Check it out.

...and now I'm off to do some more reading ... you know, a break down of the MAP test. Hopefully I'll have enough think time to process it and find some way to tackle it! ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment