Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Finding Blessings

Friday we have a professional development day ... a.k.a. no kids, but lots of meetings day. On these days we get a lunch break and get to LEAVE SCHOOL to eat (it's amazing!). So, Friday I plan on having the 4th grade teachers over for lunch.

I'm super excited because this is the first time (of hopefully many!) I get to share our home with others which is one of the main reasons I'm excited to have a bigger house!

The week has been crazy already and I don't see it getting any easier as the week goes on - I'm sure my kids will be just as crazy tomorrow and Thursday as they were yesterday and today, and I'm sure I will be equally as tired as I am now! Sooo, I decided it wouldn't be the best plan to leave all my house cleaning till Thursday along with the lunch prepping ... and since Wednesday nights go quickly with dinner and church and sleep, that left me tonight. Therefore, (be proud of all my transition word usage -- we are working on that in class!) I decided that between school and heading to Owensville for a basketball game, I better at least get the basement cleaned and ready to go! What a bummer way to spend my hour home alone (before Rob got off work)!

Thankfully, on the way I home I happened to hear a song that mentioned "the things you take for granted started out as blessings first".

Now, our house is brand new and I am a llloooonnnggg way from taking it for granted. But some of the stuff IN the house is not so new and exciting. And, lets face it, I just really don't like cleaning house! I'll go weed your garden any day ... but clean house? Bleh! But, the song got me thinking, so I decided to try to remember to see the blessings behind the things in my basement ...

Easy ones first:
           - I didn't really enjoy dusting the legs on the pool table. I mean, I had to bend over. Eeek! (ha). But come on -- I was dusting A POOL TABLE that we own. Whoa.
           - I HATED vaccuuming the stairs ... but they were leading down to the basement that we now have. That holds a pool table. And an awesome game area. And an office.
           - Dusting around computer stuff and cords and nintendo systems and swords and various Zelda memorbilia is definitely not my favorite. But, I am so thankful that we have the means to support my husbands passions ... and even more thankful that he uses those things to do great things like make this super cool website www.oakgrovecofc.org.

I could go on ... but dinner is ready to be taken off the stove and I have a game to get to. So, long story, short: did this "blessing finding" make cleaning the basement more fun? More exciting? Even remotely enjoyable? Well ... sorry to disapoint those of you who were holding out for a life changing moment ... no. It didn't. It won't make cleaning the upstairs more exciting or fun on Thursday evening either. BUT, just like the understanding of one student making my extra hours of planning worth it, aiming to find the blessing of cleaning my house did make the cleaning feel more worth it. So hey, a wins a win. :)


          

No comments:

Post a Comment