Monday, August 6, 2012

Becka

I am *slightly* opinionated about education. (Those of you who only know me as a "first year teacher" don't be fooled -- I'll get warmed up soon ;) Seriously. I know what I think, feel, believe, and I am not afraid to tell you about it. Therefore, there are a lot of people I don't quite agree with. (I know, I know, you're shocked!). In college this fact was definitely confirmed. Put me in a room with a bunch of other "teacher-to-be's" and we can sure have some good *ahem* discussions.

Enter Becka Braker. We met in a math class when we partnered up for a project (random side note, I only asked Becka to be my partner because I was pretty sure she lived in my dorm and I was tooo lazy to want to be partners with someone I'd have to drive or walk to meet up with! Turns out she didn't live in my dorm, but did visit her best friend there a lot ....). Best. Decision. Ever. We ended up being partners for lots of things. And (thankfully for me!) becoming friends!

Becka and I agree on ... I'm just gonna go with everything. We have a lot of the same ideas about education. We share a lot of the same beliefs. We even have a lot of the same ideas (although hers usually come out with a bit more *bam! I'm awesome!* than mine!). And I adore her. I love her because we agree (ha!) - but mostly I love her because she is seriously out to change the world. I mean, come on. How can you not love someone who answers the question "why did you want to be a teacher?" with "Because being a Ninja Turtle just didn't work out and this is the next best thing". Seriously. She said that. Awesome.

ANYWHO, Becka is one of a kind - a ball of energy. She is so eager to help every kid and she has a special place in her heart for what I would call "hard cases". And that's why I want you to take a look at this: Her Project.

Becka and I are going to have very different experiences as 1st year teachers even though we are both teaching 4th grade ... because while I am blessed to teach in a school district with tons of books, lots of resources (I mean, really - I got my own ipad!), Becka got brave and dove into being an educator in a district where she is hunting up her own books and trying to teach kids to like reading. And if anybody can do it, she can. But she needs a hand. Maybe your hand.

I *know* Becka's life hasn't always gone exactly according to plan - but she is doing amazing things along her new path. A path that took her away from Springfield to New Orleans of all places!  I can't wait to hear her stories (and there WILL BE some awesome one!). Most of all, I am so excited for all the kids who get to have her as a teacher, mentor, and friend. Because if she can influence me as much as she did, how awesome is she going to be for 4th graders?!

BUT she can't do it alone! Even Ninja Turtles need help sometimes =).

1 comment:

  1. Katie Helterbrand, I mean Moreland, I love you more than words can describe! Thank you so much for overselling me. You are amazing. It's pretty amazing that we ended up being math partners and lifelong (yeah I just committed you to my whole life) friends. You are definitely going to change the lives of the kids in your classroom, they are truly blessed to have you in you their lives. But I'm even luckier to have you as a friend! Thank you for having such a huge heart for giving, I shore do love you! Please continue to love everyone as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete