Monday, March 12, 2012

Narrow Minded - this blog's inspiration.

        I have come to the conclusion that I am narrow minded. In the past I have worked at being open minded: try new food? Check. Listen to all types of music? Check. Try new activities, games, hobbies, etc? Check. Listen to both sides of an argument? Check. At one time being “narrow minded” would have really bothered me … but no more.
        Now, my narrow mindedness is different than some. It is not accidental, not something I learned from my parents, not a result of ignorance. Rather, my narrow mindedness is intentional. Decisive. A result of deep thought, careful consideration, and intense study.
        Why? Because truth is narrow. Truth is not “anything you want to believe”. Truth is exclusive. It is neither relative nor circumstancial, but definite and un-debatable. Truth cannot be questioned or falsified – it is truth.
        I still question everything. I am not one to accept much at face value or take what “he said...”. I will gladly look at things from every angle. I will happily study an idea, a thought, a concept. I will listen, discuss and listen more. I will research and study. I will study to find the truth; the only, honest, narrow truth.
        So, ask me your question. Tell me your idea. Disagree with me. Then study with me. Discuss with me. Learn with me. And if you feel the need, call me narrow-minded. That is a compliment I'll take any day.

**Matthew 7:13 - “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it”.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! Lately, I have been thinking about something similar. Why is it that we, as Christians, are always the (and I mean this in the offensive, rude way) narrow-minded, or the close-minded. To me, the narrow/close-minded are those who do not open themselves up to new and greater things than them. They want complete physical proof and self-control. I believe Christians are open-minded. It takes someone willing to open their minds up to something greater than his or herself . . . to something out of this world, literally.

    I couldn't agree with you more, Katie! And it's always awesome to see scripture that backs it up! :)

    ReplyDelete