Thursday, March 29, 2012

Freedom

       I am sooo enjoying my spring break! :) It might have something to do with the fact that I am still sitting on my couch drinking coffee at 8:25 in the morning! Yesterday I worked out in the yard all day (we have been clearing out a huge mess of poison ivy and brier bushes ... and I think I finally finished it yesterday)! Today, all I HAVE to do is water the grass seed I put down and sweep the floors. I do love teaching, but it is wwwaaayy nice to be free for a week. "Free as a bird" you might say (in fact, that is exactly what my mother-in-law said!).
       Lots of people use that phrase or at least wish for the sentiment. No restrictions, no to do list, no boss. But a bird, and I would argue any other creature, is not truly free. Instead, a bird is a slave to instinct, constantly fearing for its life and trying to survive. Likewise, we cannot be truly free. We ARE better off than the bird though -- we get a choice! We get to choose what we are slaves to. We have the freedom to choose whether we want to be slaves to sin, a path that leads to death, or slaves to righteousness, a path that leads to eternal life. Having "no master" is simply not one of the choices....

Matthew 6:24 - "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon".

For a great post, check out Tenneil's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment