Saturday, November 19, 2022

Potential Awesomeness

Tonight I had the opportunity to go to our local high schools choir dinner - an event I very much enjoy! The kids, as usual, did spectacular with their solos and small group performances, and the choirs sounded amazing. 

My favorite part of any such event, however, is spotting "my kids" - those I had in my 4th grade class or shared the 4th grade hallways with - and being amazed at how far they've come. 

I am always in awe of the high schoolers. It takes guts to get up on stage and sing infront of a crowd. It takes confidence to play on a court or march on a  field infront of a whole lot of spectators. It takes courage to perform or act or speak in front of a  room full of onlookers. 

What's more, it takes dedication to prepare for those moments. It takes effort and passion and determination and time - so much time. It takes coachability and hours practicing. It takes sacrifice and putting you self out there. 

And it isn't always the kids "I would have guessed" who pull all of those pieces together.

Oh sure, sometimes by 4th grade I can speculate "Well, that kid is going to be an awesome _______ someday!" But other times? Other times the high schooler who belts out a solo was a quiet 4th grader and the basketball starter sat the bench a lot on the 4th grade team. Sometimes the stand out speaker didn't love the spotlight in 4th grade and the confident high schooler was a 4th grader who hadn't quite found their voice yet. 

Those kids remind me of how important it is to see the possible potential in each student ... And how much more important it is to help each student see that there is potential in themselves. 

It's fun to encourage the passion of a 4th grader whose already found it. It's even more fun to help them find that they may have more than one passion. And oh my goodness, how rewarding to help the student who hasn't found an passion yet realize that there is one out there for them, too. 

Each kiddo that crosses my path has endless possibilities ahead of them. They will shine a million different ways, and it is a special thing when I get to catch a glimpse. 

May we always see the potential for greatness in each kiddo, and help them see it too .... For when they find it and persue it, how wonderful for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment